Here’s something you rarely ever see, a set of apps from a big name company hitting Android before it comes to iOS! Wow, write this one on the calendar please, it’s got to be history or something. The company is Adobe and they’ve just released six Touch Apps for $9.99 each on the Android market. These apps are meant to bring professional level creativity to Android tablet users. Sadly they can only be used with Android 3.1 and tablet that are greater than 8.9” in size and have a resolution of at least 1280×800. These same apps will be arriving on iOS early next year.
Headlined by Adobe Photoshop Touch, a groundbreaking app that brings the legendary creative and image-editing power of Photoshop to tablet devices for the first time, the new Adobe Touch Apps include:
- Adobe Photoshop Touch lets users transform images with core Photoshop features, in an app custom-built for tablets. With simple finger gestures, users can combine multiple photos into layered images, make essential edits, and apply professional effects. The tablet-exclusive Scribble Selection Tool allows users to easily extract objects in an image by simply scribbling on what to keep and, then, what to remove. With Refine Edge technology from Adobe Photoshop, even hard-to-select areas with soft edges are easily captured when making selections. Additionally, the app helps users quickly find images, share creations and view comments through integration with Facebook and Google search. Using Adobe Creative Cloud, files can be accessed and opened in Adobe Photoshop.
- Adobe Collage helps creatives capture and refine ideas and concepts by allowing them to combine inspirational images, drawings, text and Creative Suite files into modern, conceptual moodboards. Features include importing of images, four customizable pen types for drawing, adding text and applying color themes. A virtually unconstrained canvas grows as needed to accommodate more assets. Files can be shared or transferred for access in Adobe Photoshop using Adobe Creative Cloud.
- Adobe Debut allows users to present designs to clients and stakeholders virtually anywhere. Adobe Debut quickly opens tablet-compatible versions of Creative Suite files for convenient and beautiful viewing on the tablet, including Photoshop layers and Illustrator® art boards. Feedback is gathered using a markup pen tool to add notes and drawings on top of the work.
- Adobe Ideas is an easy-to-master, vector-based tool for drawing. By using a stylus or finger, strokes appear smooth at any zoom level. Starting with a blank canvas, users can choose color themes and pull in tablet-compatible image files that can be controlled as separate layers. Finished results are easily accessed in Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop. Adobe Ideas is also currently available for iOS.
- Adobe Kuler makes it easy to generate color themes that can inspire any design project. Color can be explored and discovered, with hundreds of thousands of Kuler themes already available via the creative community. Social engagement in the community is enhanced by rating and commenting on themes, which can be exported as color swatches for Adobe Creative Suite projects.
To learn more about the Adobe Touch apps, please visit Adobe.com, Adobe TV, Facebook or Twitter. News about the Adobe Creative Cloud can also be found on the Creative Layer blog or Facebook. The new Adobe Touch Apps follow the launch of the Adobe Carousel™ application for iPad, iPhone, iPod touch and Mac OS – an all-new way to browse, enhance and share photos across devices.
Pricing and Availability
The six Adobe Touch Apps for creative professionals are immediately available on the Android Market, at an introductory price of $USD9.99 each. The Touch Apps are available in most geographies in English. The Adobe Touch Apps will run on tablets running Android 3.1 or higher with a minimum 8.9” screen size and resolution of 1280 x 800. Adobe Ideas is currently available in the iTunes App Store for $USD5.99. Adobe expects iOS versions for all Touch Apps to be available in early 2012. The Adobe Touch Apps integrate with the creative file viewing, sharing and transfer features of the Adobe Creative Cloud also made available today. More information regarding the additional capabilities of Adobe Creative Cloud, including applications, services and community and full Adobe Creative Cloud paid membership options will be available in the first half of 2012.