meh.. I don’t know about this thing, gaming phones have been tried before and they haven’t exactly worked out. The Xperia Play though may have a chance sine it’s connected to the Playstation. It’s Android 2.3 or Gingerbread and has a 1Ghz Snapdragon CPU with a 4” screen and a 5mp camera. It’s going to be on Verizon and has a release date of Spring 2011.
Are Americans ready to play? Sony Ericsson and Verizon Wireless think so. Sony Ericsson today announced that its new Xperia™ PLAY, the world’s first PlayStation Certified smartphone, will be available on the Verizon Wireless Network in the Spring 2011.
"This Spring, expect to see a lot of people with their heads down and thumbs up," said Peter Farmer, Head of Marketing for North America, Sony Ericsson. "Xperia™ PLAY combined with the power of the Verizon Wireless network gives you everything you need in a smartphone and the one thing you want – the ultimate gaming experience."
Xperia™ PLAY is powered by the latest version of the Android platform (Gingerbread version 2.3) – and is PlayStation certified, which ensures an optimized gaming experience featuring content from the PlayStation Suite. Xperia™ PLAY will provide a best-in-class gaming experience right out of the box with many of the most popular games pre-loaded, including Asphalt Adrenaline 6, Bruce Lee, Star Battalion, The Sims 3, and Tetris. More than 50 additional titles from top franchises at leading game publishers will be available for purchase at launch.
"Working with Sony Ericsson to bring the world’s first PlayStation Certified smartphone to the nation’s most reliable network builds on our commitment to deliver the best mobile gaming and entertainment experience to our customers," said Jeff Dietel, vice president-marketing for Verizon Wireless.
According to the Entertainment Software Association’s 2010 consumer survey, in the United States:
- 67 percent of households play computer or video games
- 42 percent of heads of households report they play games on wireless devices, up from 20 percent in 2002
- The average game player age is 34 and 40 percent of game players are women
Facebook users can enter the First2Play contest and could be one of the first 10 people to get the Xperia™ PLAY by visiting www.facebook.com/SEUSA.
Sony Ericsson Xperia™ PLAY Key Features:
- PlayStation Certified gaming experience
- Latest version of the Android platform (Gingerbread version 2.3)
- 60fps play-back enabled through the Snapdragon 1Ghz processor, optimized with enhanced graphical processor unit the Adreno 205
- Dedicated gaming controls for real console quality game play, including four-way directional keys, recognizable ABCD keys with PlayStation iconography, left/right shoulder keys and two analog touch inputs for joystick action
- 4-inch brilliant multi-touch display
- 5.0 megapixel camera
Web Site: http://www.sonyericsson.com/us