And finally from HP we have their new tablet, but it uses WebOS. I’m not too sure about yet another operating system for a tablet, I think we have too many already at this point. If they could all work together then it might not be a problem, but all these different operating systems can be annoying and confusing.
TouchPad’s virtual full QWERTY keyboard includes a number row, which reduces keyboard switching, making typing easy and fast. It powers on instantly and brings you back to exactly where you left off, whether you were in the middle of composing an email, playing a game or browsing a web page. With webOS true multitasking, it’s like you never left.
For maximum productivity, HP is working with Quickoffice to include the Quickoffice Connect Mobile Suite, which lets you view and edit documents, such as Microsoft Word and Excel. It also comes with VPN support to connect to corporate networks.
With its 1.3-megapixel front-facing webcam, TouchPad offers video calling capability.(11) It’s also compatible with HP’s industry-leading printing solutions, so you can wirelessly print documents, photos and emails to compatible wireless and networked HP printers.(12)
TouchPad has built-in HP Touchstone technology for easy charging, so it’s compatible out of the box with the HP Touchstone for TouchPad (sold separately), and you can charge in either portrait or landscape mode, even without removing the TouchPad case (sold separately). The webOS Exhibition feature lets you run applications designed specifically for Touchstone. Set your TouchPad on Touchstone and Exhibition launches automatically, showing you anything from today’s agenda to a slideshow of your photos.(13)
HP TouchPad is scheduled to be available in the summer. Exact pricing and availability will be announced at a later date.
HP TouchPad features and specs
- HP webOS
- High-speed connectivity(1)
- Qualcomm Snapdragon dual-CPU APQ8060 1.2-GHz processor
- 9.7-inch diagonal XGA capacitive, multitouch screen with a vibrant, 18-bit color, 1,024 x 768 resolution display
- The option of either 16 GB or 32 GB of internal storage(14)
- High-performance browser with full access to the web, including support for Adobe Flash Player 10.1 beta for access to rich, Flash-based web content(1)
- Wireless connectivity:
- Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n with WPA, WPA2, WEP, 802.1X authentication(1)
- A-GPS (3G only)(10)
- Bluetooth® wireless technology 2.1 + EDR with A2DP stereo Bluetooth support
- Multimedia options, including music, photos, video recording and playback, and a 3.5 mm headset/headphone/microphone jack
- Internal stereo speakers and Beats Audio
- Front-facing 1.3-megapixel webcam for live video calling(11)
- Email, including EAS (for access to corporate Microsoft Exchange servers) and personal email support (Google Gmail push, Yahoo!, POP3, IMAP)(6)
- Robust messaging support(4)
- Light sensor, accelerometer, compass (magnetometer) and gyroscope
- Rechargeable 6,300 mAh (typical) battery
- Micro-USB (Charging and PC Connect) with USB 2.0 Hi-Speed
- Built-in HP Touchstone technology for easy charging (HP Touchstone for TouchPad sold separately) and HP touch-to-share to share web addresses between TouchPad and compatible webOS phones(5)
- Dimensions: 190 mm x 242 mm x 13.7 mm (7.48 inches x 9.53 inches x .54 inches)
- Weight: approximately 740 g (1.6 pounds)
More information about HP TouchPad is available at www.palm.com/TouchPad.
(1) Within wireless coverage area only. Actual speeds may vary. Email, mobile number and related information required for setup and activation. Required data services sold separately; unlimited plan recommended and may be required. Not all web content may be available.
(2) Third-party software available separately. Within wireless coverage area only. Requires data services at additional cost. Availability will vary by region.
(3) Requires connection to compatible webOS phone with the same HP webOS Account. Voice service requires separately purchased service contract. Availability may vary by carrier.
(4) Within wireless coverage area only. SMS and IM require data services at additional cost. SMS requires connection to compatible webOS phone. Availability of IM functionality may vary by carrier.
(5) Requires HP TouchPad with webOS 3.0 and Pre3 or Veer with webOS 2.2 or higher, both products having the same HP webOS account. Viewing URL web page content requires data connection vie Wi-Fi or cellular connection.
(6) Within wireless coverage area only. Microsoft Exchange email, contacts and calendars available for ActiveSync only; requires Microsoft Outlook using Exchange Server 2003 with SP2, Exchange Server 2007 or Exchange Server 2010.
(7) Performance varies bases on actual usage.
(8) Wi-Fi within range of 802.11b/g Wi-Fi network. Some Wi-Fi hotspots may require fee for usage.
(9) File formats supported: DRM-free MP3, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, AMR, QCELP and WAV.
(10) Within wireless coverage area only. Voice-activated, as-you-go, turn-by-turn directions sold separately. Not available in all regions. Check with carrier for availability.
(11) Check with carrier for video calling availability and restrictions.
(12) The webOS print solution will support all network-capable HP printers that support PCL page description language in the local LAN. These printers include new HP ePrint-capable printers – Photosmart, Officejet and LaserJet – as well as legacy printers approximately 5 years old or newer. ePrint requires an internet connection to the printer. Feature works with any internet- and email-capable device and will require a firmware upgrade. Print times may vary. For a list of supported documents and image types, see www.hp.com/go/ePrintCenter.
(13) Displayed preferences require user setup.
(14) User-available storage subject to change based on system software and application usage.