HP (NYSE:HPQ) today announced a series of new relationships and solutions designed to open up web printing to the masses by enabling people to print customized content how, when and where they choose.
- HP is partnering with AOL to bring embedded print customization tools to AOL sites.
- An agreement between HP and Flickr, a division of Yahoo! Inc., will expand print services for Flickr members worldwide through Snapfish by HP.
- HP Apps (applications) come alive with the launch of the HP App Studio, featuring everything from informative news content to movie tickets, maps and fun activities for children.
- New HP App partners announced today and rolling out over coming months include Disney, CNET.com, 60 MINUTES, Flickr and Tabbloid.
- HP brings web-connected printing to the home with the HP Photosmart Premium with TouchSmart Web available on www.hp.com starting this week and at Staples, Best Buy, Office Depot and OfficeMax stores nationwide as well as Amazon.com throughout the fall.
“With the explosion of digital content on the web, our goal is to enable consumers to print anywhere, anytime,” said Vyomesh Joshi, executive vice president, Imaging and Printing Group, HP. “Today’s announcement is a major step forward in our Print 2.0 strategy, we knew the web would be the future of the printed page and now, with 50 percent of everything that is printed coming from the web, we are embarking on a new era of consumer printing.”
Online communities expand print capabilities
HP is working with AOL to embed the Tabbloid publishing service across the AOL network – including its RSS feeds – allowing people to print customized newsletters tailored to their interests.
Flickr, one of the world’s largest photo sharing communities, will expand its print offering and experiences for members through Snapfish.
First web-connected home printer makes its debut with new Print App partners
In time for the holiday season, the HP Photosmart Premium with TouchSmart Web is now available online and in stores for $399.(1) This ultimate all-in-one device not only offers versatility with print, fax, copy and scan functionalities but also provides on-demand, one-touch access to relevant, printable content from the web in a convenient format.(2)
HP is introducing a selection of new Print App partners over the next few months, including:
- Disney Online and its websites Disney.com and DisneyFamily.com, offering coloring pages and craft projects from a choice of renowned characters, such as a Disney Princess, Winnie the Pooh, Mickey Mouse and Handy Manny as well as fun recipes for the entire family.
- CNET.com for product reviews of the latest tech gadgets and gift guides.
- CBS News for text versions of 60 MINUTES.
- Flickr, to allow members to access and print their photos directly from the printer.
- Tabbloid for creating and printing customized newsletters by selecting any combination of RSS feeds from favorite blogs and websites.
These new apps will join a host of partners from the world of entertainment and news that were announced in June and will be preloaded onto the printer. The apps are from companies including USA TODAY, Google (maps and calendar applications), Coupons.com, Fandango, DreamWorks Animation, Nickelodeon, Web Sudoku, Weathernews Inc., Snapfish.com and HP Creative Studio.
The HP Photosmart Premium with TouchSmart Web ships to customers in a stylish reusable bag to reduce packaging for minimal waste.
HP App Studio empowers consumers to customize their printers
HP App Studio is a web destination where customers can view and rate Print Apps and suggest ideas to ensure the development of a compelling selection of HP Apps for everyday printing.
HP will be working with select developers such as Kurt Noble Incorporated (KNI) and companies such CashStar, FreePrintable.net and MovieTickets.com to create Print Apps using HP’s open application programming interface.
New HP Photosmart printers feature intuitive touch technology
The HP Photosmart Premium with TouchSmart Web will join a new line of sleek, black Photosmart printers at a variety of prices.(1) The printers incorporate a new dynamic touchscreen technology that makes it easier than ever for consumers to conveniently display, edit and print photos as well as copy and scan documents.
The new lineup of wireless Photosmart printers are available now and include:
- HP Photosmart A640 Compact Printer ($149)
- HP Photosmart C4700 All-in-One Series ($129)
- HP Photosmart Plus All-in-One ($149)
- HP Photosmart Premium All-in-One ($199)
Beginning this fall, HP is making it easier for consumers to identify and choose the optimal combination of hardware and supplies from the HP Photosmart portfolio with the introduction of HP Photosmart Inks.
With the new HP Photosmart printing system, HP is improving the customer selection process and buying experience by streamlining the names, removing numbers and developing complementary packaging.
Eco Solutions for everyday printing
The new ENERGY STAR® qualified HP Photosmart printers offer paper-saving features such as automatic two-sided printing(3) and HP Smart Web Printing. Reducing paper usage by up to 45 percent,(4) HP Smart Web Printing allows users to select, store and organize text and graphics from multiple web pages, and then edit and print exactly what they see on the screen.
HP also is launching the HP Deskjet D2600 Printer Series, an affordable, easy-to-use, energy-efficient solution made from 50 percent recycled plastic. Starting at $49,(1) the printer delivers reliable prints for everyday projects and is great for first-time printer owners, families needing an additional printer and college students.
Additionally, as an integral component of its solutions, HP has tested and confirmed the recyclability of HP Everyday Photo Paper.(5) Through extensive testing, the paper has been confirmed by the Forest Stewardship Council as chain-of-custody certified, indicating that the source materials for the paper have come from well-managed forests.
HP plans to continue offering high-quality affordable printing solutions that are environmentally responsible by ensuring all HP photo papers are sourced from certified paper by 2010.
More information about HP’s web printing offerings for consumers is available in an online press kit at www.hp.com/go/webprinting.
HP Total Care
HP products are backed by HP Total Care, the company’s award-winning service, solutions and support, both in and out of warranty. HP support professionals also are available 24/7 by phone, email and real-time chat. HP’s online support options include consumer support forums, online classes offered at no charge, a dedicated support video channel, the PC Tune-up Center and the newly designed HP Customer Care site, which was recently named one of the “Ten Best Web Support Sites of 2009” by the Association of Support Professionals.
Customers also can access printer diagnostics and software driver updates with HP Printer Check. More information is available at www.hp.com/go/totalcare.
HP and the environment
For decades HP has been an environmental leader, driving company stewardship through its HP Eco Solutions program. HP influences industry action by setting high environmental standards in its operations and supply chain, by providing practical solutions to make it easier for customers to reduce their climate impact and through its research on sustainability solutions that support a low-carbon economy. More information on HP’s Eco Solutions program is available at www.hp.com/ecosolutions.
HP, the world’s largest technology company, simplifies the technology experience for consumers and businesses with a portfolio that spans printing, personal computing, software, services and IT infrastructure. More information about HP is available at http://www.hp.com/.
Note to editors: More news from HP, including links to RSS feeds, is available at http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/.
(1) All prices estimated U.S. street prices. Actual prices may vary.
(2) Requires an Internet connection to the printer.
(3) Automatic two-sided printing available on HP Photosmart Premium All-in-One and Photosmart Premium with TouchSmart Web only.
(4) In HP-commissioned independent testing, HP Smart Web Printing used an average of 45 percent fewer pages than the web browser’s print command alone. Requires Internet Explorer 6.0-8.0.
(5) Based on testing conducted in conjunction with Paper Technology Specialists and Western Michigan University examining the paper’s recyclability alone as well as with mixed materials.
ENERGY STAR is a U.S. registered mark of the United States Environmental Protection Agency.
This news release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks, uncertainties and assumptions. If such risks or uncertainties materialize or such assumptions prove incorrect, the results of HP and its consolidated subsidiaries could differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements and assumptions. All statements other than statements of historical fact are statements that could be deemed forward-looking statements, including but not limited to statements of the plans, strategies and objectives of management for future operations; any statements concerning expected development, performance or market share relating to products and services; any statements regarding anticipated operational and financial results; any statements of expectation or belief; and any statements of assumptions underlying any of the foregoing. Risks, uncertainties and assumptions include macroeconomic and geopolitical trends and events; the execution and performance of contracts by HP and its customers, suppliers and partners; the achievement of expected operational and financial results; and other risks that are described in HP’s Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the fiscal quarter ended April 30, 2009 and HP’s other filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including but not limited to HP’s Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended October 31, 2008. HP assumes no obligation and does not intend to update these forward-looking statements.