Heads up to our European readers… the Sonim XP2 Spirit is heading your way. I don’t know about you but I like this phone but I’m not sure why. it does have an interesting look to it, and of course it’s probably the most rugged phone on the market today.. That’s one thing i don’t like about phones, they’re expensive but yet they’re fairly fragile pieces of technology. I mean we spend hundreds of dollars and lock ourselves into multi-year contacts, what if that phone breaks in the first year? You’re pretty much stuck as they’re not going to replace it for you are they? All phone should be like the XP2 I think, it’s protected against rain, fog and salt air and it can be submersed to 1 meter for up to 30 minutes. It;s impervious to dust and can withstand a 2 meter drop onto concrete, and vibrations up to 4Gs. The lens is scratch and shock resistant Gorilla Glass, this thing is one tough phone!
Don’t compromise style for toughness! Sonim’s new XP2 Spirit 3G mobile phone is a rugged yet pretty face.
Key Features of the Sonim XP2 SPIRIT
- Stylish look and unique octagonal shape to better withstand drops
- 3-megapixel camera with LED flash for higher quality pictures and video
- A suite of Java applications and a multimedia player
- 2’ hi-res display, protected by 1.5mm of scratch resistant Gorilla Glass
- High quality magnesium core
- Waterproof outer shell made from hardened rubber, fiberglass and nylon
- GORE-TEX covered speaker for waterproofing
PEPCOM, Mobile World Congress, Barcelona, Spain, February 15th, 2010: Sonim Technologies, the manufacturer of the world’s toughest phones, today announces the latest in its Xtreme Performance series, the Sonim XP2 Spirit – its first 3G mobile phone.
Built for people that work and play in extreme environments, this next generation Sonim XP2 mobile phone brings the highest level of ruggedness and a fresh new look. The Spirit is also designed for consumers and professionals that want uncompromising performance outside of their workplace. And as always, Sonim is also backing the Spirit with its unconditional three year guarantee.
“We’ve watched our customers closely and have seen how they struggle when they don’t have a Sonim phone in-hand. We strive to deliver the strongest phones that can withstand the noise of a jackhammer, a rocky mountain face, splashing water or intense wind and rain,” said Bob Plaschke, CEO of Sonim. “The Spirit continues Sonim’s tradition of marrying technology and toughness and now introduces 3G to deliver the best rugged mobile phone on the market. The Spirit will be available in stores across Europe next month.”
No technical standard fully captures the toughness of the Spirit. The phone was tested against Sonim’s Rugged Performance Standards, a 12-point test that ensures phones are of the highest quality and meet the needs of extreme and rugged work and lifestyles. The Spirit exceeded all benchmarks with advanced features and specifications:
- Tested and proved rugged: IP-67/MIL-810G certified; protected against rain, fog and salt air
- Submersible to 1 metre for 30 minutes in water
- Impervious to dust and micro-particles: Non porous casing blocks entry of micro-particles
- Impact proof: Octagonal-shaped shell withstands 2m drops onto concrete
- Resistant to shocks and vibration: Built to withstand random vibrations up to 4G
- Ready for extreme temperatures: Works in environments ranging from -20C to +55C
- Tough materials: Dual injected shell (hardened rubber, fiberglass & nylon) and magnesium core
- Durable Mechanics: Keypad buttons tested to 850,000 pushes
- Extra-loud audio: Protected by a GORE-TEX cover
- Screen toughness: Scratch and shock resistant 1.5 mm thick Gorilla Glass lens
- Multimedia Player: Video and MP3
- Rugged 3MP Camera: Still and Video
- 3 –Year Unconditional Guarantee
The Spirit comes complete with a 3MP camera (with LED flash and a dedicated camera key), a video camera, multimedia player, FM radio, MMS support (for images and video), email with IMAP4 POP3 support, web browsing, an LED torch and a Micro SD slot (8GB maximum). The Spirit is also certified military standard MIL 810G – clearing it to handle conditions such as thermal shock, extreme temperatures, transport shock, solar radiation and salt water. The phone is compatible with a wide range of off-the-shelf car kits and headsets and comes complete with charger, belt clip, screwdriver, wired headset and USB cable as standard.
The Sonim XP2.10 Spirit will be in retail stores across Europe next month. A list of retailers and distributors can be found at www.sonimtech.com.
About Sonim Technologies – Sonim Technologies (www.sonimtech.com) manufactures the most rugged phones in the world, designed and engineered specifically for people who work and play in extreme environments. Sonim’s XP family of phones feature outstanding craftsmanship, extreme resilience and an industry-leading unconditional three year guarantee that has redefined consumers’ expectations of rugged technology. Sonim also provides a complete end-to-end mobile VoIP platform that delivers high-performance push-to-talk services on GPRS, UMTS, EVDO, WiFi and WiMAX data networks. The company is headquartered in San Mateo, California and operates in 50 additional countries.