Sadly it’s not an update to Android 2.2….It’s just a small update that they actually started to roll out quietly yesterday, you can either wait for it or get it by hitting Software Update on your phone. Takes about 3 minutes total for it. Supposedly it fixes Voice issues with ‘improved calling experience’, so it’s certainly worth the update. I believe the Fascinate for Verizon is getting a similar update too.
- 09/21/2010 – Firmware Over the Air (FOTA) software update changing software version from I897UCJF6 to I897UCJH7. A 12MB download is being pushed to Samsung Captivate owners starting on 09/21/2010 and will continue Tuesday through Friday at 15K customers per day until complete. This is NOT an operating system update. This update includes the following software updates:
- Preinstalled software – QuickOffice for Android will allow users to edit various Microsoft Office documents.
- Messaging – Exchange 2003 support, MMS and other messaging enhancements.
- Voice – Improved calling experience.
- Media – media scanning time improvements.
This firmware update is not intended to resolve all device reset or freezing issues, which may be caused by:
- Corrupted files
- Device memory becoming filled and leaving insufficient room to run applications.
- Use of incompatible 3rd party applications on the Samsung Captivate.
Update: I just got a message from Samsung earlier that says this fixes GPS issues as well:
An update to improve the Samsung Captivate’s GPS performance is now available. Captivate customers will receive a notification on their device that an update is available and will simply need to download the file to update their phone. The updates will be pushed to customers’ devices over the next few weeks.
Now this doesn’t jive with what AT&T says is in the update. I’ve emailed Samsung back and asked about it, so I’ll let you know what they have to say on the subject.
UPDATE 2: Just heard back from Samsung and they said: Quote: “This is the same update and it will include GPS.”
So there you have it, it does include a GPS Fix.