Synology has officially announced version 5.1 of their NAS operating system that includes several new features like better and more comprehensive integration with cloud services like OneDrive, Box and Google Drive along with Dropbox and Microsoft Azure. Synology has enhanced the security features to further protect users from malware with Apparmor and the Package center now supports digital signatures to prevent installing tampered with software to your NAS. There’s plenty of other new features as well, see below for official PR…
Synology® America Corp. is pleased to announce the official launch of DiskStation Manager (DSM) 5.1. DSM 5.1 brings a number of enhancements to help users complete their cloud solutions by providing an advanced private cloud that works inline with the public cloud- allowing local storage, control, and peace of mind with convenience.
· Deeper cloud integration- In addition to services like Google Drive and Dropbox, Cloud Sync now adds support for OneDrive and Box. Backup is now supported to Microsoft Azure. The Explore feature allows for browsing for and retrieving single files from Amazon’s Glacier service.
· Sync control – Administrators can create syncing profiles. Synced files can retain ACL permissions.
· Note Station and DS note- Create, share, and sync digital notes and notebooks with a browser or mobile device. It’s even possible to import notes from Evernote.
· Improved security- Security Advisor provides reports and advice to improve security, and can even remove known malware. AppArmor protects system resources from malicious software. Package Center now supports digital signatures to prevent installing tampered software usage.
“We’re excited to be making the cloud complete,” said Jason Bonoan, Product Marketing Manager at Synology America Corp. “By providing a more solid private cloud solution from Synology that works with popular cloud providers it allows our users to have full local control of their files- from security and productivity enhancement to improved multimedia experiences.”
For local usage, DSM 5.1 brings enhancements for business users.
· SSD cache- SSD cache is now supported for High Availability clusters. Read-only caching now requires only one disk.
· VMware® VAAI for NFS- Full File Clone and Reserve Space
· Scheduled iSCSI LUN snapshots
· Service by interface- Services can be restricted to specific network interfaces for improved control
· Proxy server- Speed load times for common pages, and even restrict available sites
· CardDAV- Address book access and synchronization between desktop and mobile clients
To read more, or to get DSM 5.1, see here: https://www.synology.com/en-us/dsm/5.1/features
The live demo site is available at http://www.synology.com/products/dsm_livedemo.php
Synology DSM 5.1 is free to download for users who own a DiskStation or RackStation x11 series and onward. Supported models include:
- 15-series: DS415play, DS115j, DS415+, DS1815+
- 14-series: DS214, RS214, DS414, DS114, DS214play, DS214+, DS214se, RS3614xs+, RS2414+, RS2414RP+, RS814, DS214se, RS814+, RS814RP+, DS414j, RS3614xs, RS3614RPxs, DS414slim, EDS14
- 13-series: RS10613xs+, RS3413xs+, DS2413+, DS1813+, DS1513+, DS713+, DS413, DS413j, DS213+, DS213, DS213air, DS213j
- 12-series: RS3412xs, RS3412RPxs, RS812+, RS812RP+, RS2212+, RS2212RP+, RS812, RS212, DS3612xs, DS1812+, DS1512+, DS712+, DS412+, DS212+, DS212, DS212j, DS112+, DS112, DS112j
- 11-series: RS3411xs, RS3411RPxs, RS2211+, RS2211RP+, RS411, DS3611xs, DS2411+, DS1511+, DS411+II, DS411+, DS411, DS411j, DS411slim, DS211+, DS211, DS211j, DS111
Visit http://www.synology.com for more information